I remember when I started writing, a friend who was supposed to have known me for over 25 years said, ‘I didn’t know you were so deep.’ My first reaction, and one that stayed with me for a long time, was ‘Isn’t it sad that you didn’t really know me?’ But now, I’ve come to realize that in person, I’m more of a listener than a talker. I reveal more of myself and my depth when I write.
It’s amazing how when you give yourself to writing from your heart, experiences flow from your subconscious into words and expressions you almost didn’t know existed within you. It seems as if you are being taken over by a Higher Power that you really have no control over. It’s scary and it’s wonderful at the same time.
Then you realize that as a writer, you have been processing experiences all these years – storing them as sights, sounds, tastes and smells. It is imperative that you go deep within yourself and bring out these memories. Share them. Let them resonate with someone else somewhere.
You are the sum total of everything you’ve ever seen, heard, eaten, smelled, been told, forgot—it’s all there. ~ Maya Angelou
Write because it’s something you have to do. It doesn’t matter if people like it or not. You write because it’s the path you are called to take. Your soul is calling you to share its depth with others.
Today I’m calling you share your depth, to write your heart out. This weekly feature will appear every Thursday here with a linky that will be open from Thursday to Sunday.
- I would encourage you to write a new post in which you free write.
- You’re also welcome to write on the prompts offered in this post and/or add links from your posts from the week.
- Visit and comment on at least two posts before yours.
- Use the hashtag #WYHO to share posts and you’re welcome to grab this badge too.
This week’s prompts:
- Share one of your earliest childhood memories.
- Use this sentence in your post : “I can’t take you doing that thing you do” (inspired by the lyrics of The Wonders’ song ‘That thing you do‘!)
- The most meaningful gift I gave/received.
- In his book I Can Read with My Eyes Shut, Dr Suess said “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more things that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” Agree or disagree?