Shame and Light
Shame was her best friend growing up
It kept her from telling anyone about herself.
Shame helped her bedwetting become
A well-gaurded family secret.
Shame was her companion
As she struggled with grown up issues
Thrust upon her young shoulders.
Shame was what made her hide
Secrets that were not hers to tell.
Masks are what she wore
Tell her which one you preferred
And she would don it :
Good girl, responsible one
Great friend, good employee….
Shame was what made her secretive
Leading her down dark paths
Causing her to make poor choices
Until she had her own secrets to hide.
Driven to dark thoughts
Enmeshed in a web of deceit
Unable to make her way out
She begged for light.
Light to show her the way
The light of grace
The knowledge that she was forgiven.
Knowing that she was accepted
Realizing that she was loved
Slowly she made her way out
Into the light.
Letting go of shame
She clung to grace and love
Fears relieved and truth embraced
She chose gratitude as her companion.
Shame derives its power from being unspeakable…If we speak shame, it begins to wither. Just the way exposure to light was deadly for the gremlins, language and story bring light to shame and destroy it. – Brené Brown
Today I’m linking in to the #1Word blog hop hosted by Lisa and Janine. The prompts were ‘shame’ or ‘light’. I decided to cheat and combine both the words for my post. I’m also linking in to #WODW hosted by Mia and Vashelle.
We started yesterday with simple guidelines:
- Commit to writing 5 posts a week.
- Add you link to the linky on my post for the day.
- Comment on my post and 2 other posts linked before yours. If you are the first person to link, then visit the previous day’s post and comment on the last 2 blogs linked there.
- Don’t forget to share the posts you’ve visited on social media using the hashtag #septemberchallenge.
- Reach out to me if you need any assistance.
- Use the button below (optional) in your posts to indicate your participation.
As promised, I have set up a page with Blog Hops and Writings prompts. I’ve also set up your blogs – those that I could find feed urls for – to autotweet your posts every day.
Enjoy writing, connecting and sharing!