Friday Reflections is a weekly feature started by Janine Defontaine and Mackenzie Glanville, passed on to Sanchie Vee and me last year. I’ve decided to put all the Friday Reflections prompts on a page, so you can dig in for inspiration for topics when you need it.
Here’s what #FridayReflections is about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away. Sanchie of Living My Imperfect Life and I give you writing prompts and all you have to do is choose any one of those prompts to blog about and link up between Friday and Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.
Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.
Friday Reflections Prompts for 2016
Friday 5 February 2016
1. So what if it’s February! What goals are you setting yourself for 2016 and have you started working on them yet?
2. How has your week been so far?
3. Reflect upon the meaning of life.
4. Share with us some of your all time favourite quotes, include some funny ones, inspirational ones and maybe even one you have written yourself.
Friday 12 February 2016
1. Do you think parenting has made you a softer or harder person?
2. Do you consider yourself a victim or a survivor? Or perhaps a mix of both? Is it possible to be both?
3. Give us some advice on how to destress at the end of a bad day or week?
4. Share some travel pics and tell us what these mean to you.
5. Share a book review.
Friday 19 February 2016
1. How has having Grandchildren changed your view of parenting?
2. Life goes by too fast, agree or disagree?
3. Share a recipe that always brings back great memories.
4. Quote some song lyrics and tell us what they mean to you, or perhaps meant to you in the past.
5. Give us your best tips on how to cheer yourself up.
Friday 26 February 2016
1. What are you grateful for this year so far?
2. Share you ultimate fitness tips.
3. Tell us a funny story about yourself.
4. How does travelling change the way you see yourself?
5. How do you feel about your body? Perhaps write a letter to yourself being totally honest with your thoughts.
4 March 2016
1. Describe your ideal Sunday.
2. Tell us about something you have in your home that has been handed down to you, describe it, take photo and tell us the history and meaning of this item.
3. Reflect on the changing seasons wherever you are in the world.
4. Free writing – write about anything!
5. Do you believe in love at first sight?
11 March 2016
1. Why is it important to embrace your inner child?
2. What are the top 5 things to do in the city you live?
3. How does writing help you?
4. Interview someone (this could be someone else in the group or someone else) and either write it up or be really daring and do a vlog!
5. Do you have a mantra? If so what is it and how does it help you?
18 March 2016
1. Tell us about one of your grandparents.
2. Share your favourite TED video / talk and tell us why you love it so much.
3. Are you an introvert or an extrovert? How have you harnessed this in life and/or in what you do for a living?
4. What are your top life hacks?
5. Who or what inspires you?
25 March 2016
1. What is the best career or life advice you were ever given?
2. Choose 3 photos of yourself across your lifetime and write a post about how you feel looking at them, where you were, what you were doing, what you were like, etc.
3. It’s gratitude time! Write a post on gratitude.
4. Tell us a quirky story about your kid.
5. Write a love letter.
1 April 2016
1. Are you a prankster? Share your fave April fools prank or story.
2. Tell us a travel story.
3. The two moments you will never forget in life are… Describe them in great detail, and what makes them so unforgettable.
4. What does this quote mean to you: “It is in all of us to defy expectations, to go into the world and to be brave, and to want, to need, to hunger for adventures. To embrace the chance and risk so that we may breathe and know what it is to be free.” – Mae Chevrette
5. Write a list of 20 things that inspire you. Why not create a pin board to inspire you in future!
8 April 2016
1. Try your hand at writing a poem.
2. If you could have any fictional character as your best friend, who would it be and why?
3. How do you handle rejection/stress/fear/grief/other negative emotions? How can you be more prepared for those times in the future? Provide some tips to help others experiencing the emotion.
4. What is your most treasured possession and why?
5. What’s the hardest part about being a parent or a grandparent?
15 April 2016
1. If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why?
2. Tell us about a difficult decision you have had to make.
3. Describe the most amazing tourist destination you have ever been to. i.e. temple, church, forest, resort, etc.
4. Write a 99 Love list.
5. Look back over the prompts from 2016 so far and write on what you haven’t written on yet.
22 April 2016
1. If you could do something that you have never done before, what would it be? Why do you want to do it?
2. Write the words you need to hear.
3. Write a list of your top 11 travel tips.
4. Try your hand at writing a piece of fiction.
5. What do you love about life right now?
29 April 2016
1. A random act of kindness I’ve experienced
2. Write about two people seeing each other and making eye contact for the first time. It can be fictional or something from experience.
3. I wish I lived in the ______ century
4. Write a post using this quote as an inspiration or within your post:
“…the opposite of love is not hate — it’s apathy. It’s not giving a damn. If somebody hates me, they must “feel” something … or they couldn’t possibly hate. Therefore, there’s some way in which I can get to them.” — Leo Buscaglia
6 May 2016
1. Is there a person you admire? Write a post about them and what it is you admire and why
2. Write about doing something you don’t want to do/something you dread
3. My name, what it means and why my parents chose it.
4. Write a post using this quote as an inspiration or within your post:
“Joy comes to us in ordinary moments. We risk missing out on joy when we get too busy chasing down the extraordinary” – Brene Brown
13 May 2016
1. Top parenting tips
2. What is the biggest motivating factor for you?
3. What’s the worst advice you’ve heard?
4. ‘Anyone can slay a dragon’, he told me, ‘but try waking up every morning and loving the world again. That’s what takes a real hero’. – Brian Andreas
20 May 2016
1. If there was a time period you could visit for a day, where would you go? Write about traveling back in time to that day
2.First impressions are not always right
3. What if your mirror started talking to you? What would it say?
4. “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.” – J K Rowling
27 May 2016
1. A teacher I admired and why
2. Write about someone you miss dearly
3. Choose a prompt from the month of May that you’ve not written about before and write a post
4. “Most people need love and acceptance a lot more than they need advice”. – Bob Goff
3 June 2016
1. If you could run away, where would you go?
2. S/He is the wind beneath my wings.
3. 5 people you would take if you were stranded on a deserted island
4. “Sometimes we just have to let things go” – Use this as an inspiration for your post or within your post
10 June 2016
1. What is your favourite affirmation and how has it helped you?
2. What are you thinking of right now? Express yourself?
3. Do you keep a journal? Tell us about it.
4. “The truth.” Dumbledore sighed. “It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.”— J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone). Use this as an inspiration for your post or within your post
17 June 2016
1.What’s your favourite season of the year? Write a post about that either in the form of an essay or a creative piece
2. Go people watching and write an ode to a stranger you see on the street
3. Are you a pushover? Do you find it hard to say no? Share your learnings and experiences
4. “I am enough” – Brene Brown. Use this quote as an inspiration for your post or within your post
24 June 2016
1. Imagine you have a touch of magic, and can make impossible things happen. What would you do?
2. Write about a teacher that has influenced you.
3. Choose any prompt from the month of June that you haven’t written on before.
4. “One must always be careful of books,” said Tessa, “and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” — Cassandra Clare from Clockwork Angel
1 July 2016
1. How do you motivate yourself to exercise? Share any tips
2. What does normal mean to you? Is it good or bad to be normal?
3. Do you think you have a decent work/life balance?
4. “There is no innovation and creativity without failure. Period.” – Brene Brown
15 July 2016
1. Tell us about your pet
2. What’s a big mistake you made? What did you learn from it?
3. A memory I wish I didn’t have.
4. “Secretly we’re all a little more absurd than we make ourselves out to be.” – J K Rowling. Use this prompt within your post or to inspire it
29 July 2016
1. Write a poem or personal essay about what you do when you are alone – do you feel lonely or do you enjoy your own company
2. Imagine how life might be different if you could change your hair colour or clothing into something completely opposite from your current style
3. Write on any of the prompts from July 2016 that you haven’t written before.
4. It was one of those days where even my coffee needed coffee (Inspiration: Karen Salmansohn) Use this within your post
5 August 2016
1. What can you see outside your window? Describe the weather, the sights, the sounds in the best possible way
2. Write about a time you failed at something. Did you try again or give up completely?
3. Take your camera for a walk and write based on one of the photographs you take
4. “You can’t start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one”
12 August 2016
1. Write a poem that is about a brick wall – whether literally or figuratively
2. Write about a point in life where things turned for the better or worse
3. A well-loved toy from my childhood
4. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt, This is my Story. Use this is a post of your own
19 August 2016
1. What makes you smile? What makes you happy?
2. Write about taking your favourite (or least-favourite) form of transportation
3. Chaos — how do you feel about it?
4. “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” – Oscar Wilde. Use this as inspiration for your post or within it.
26 August 2016
1. Create a poem, short story, or journal entry about a conversation you’ve overheard
2. Write about not giving up
3. Write on any of the prompts from August 2016
4. “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” ― André Gide, Autumn Leaves
2 September 2016
1. Tolerance: Do you believe you are tolerant or not? Write a post, or share a story depicting it
2. Are you someone who is always on time, running late or early? Does it even matter?
3. Write about something you learned the hard way
4. “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche Use this quote in a post or as an inspiration for one.
9 September 2016
1. Write a story or poem that begins with a character throwing a coin into a fountain
2. Write about something you’ve heard or read from an authority figure/organisation that you don’t agree with. Attempt a persuasive essay to convince us of another view.
3. Phobias: Have you got any? Share one of the quirkiest
4. “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration
16 September 2016
1. Write a letter to yourself a decade ago.
2. Use the lyrics of your favourite song as the basis of a short story or a post
3. If you were to choose someone to be Prime Minister or President, who would that be?
4. “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” – Albert Einstein. Use this quote within your prompt or as an inspiration for one
23 September 2016
1. What if toys had feelings? Write a post and get creative!
2. Describe a dream or nightmare you’ve had
3. 7 favourite movies and why
4. “We accept the love we think we deserve.” – Stephen Chbosky Use this in a post or as an inspiration for one
30 September 2016
1. What would you do if someone just gave you 1 million dollars?
2. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be
3. Write on any of the prompts from September that you haven’t written on before
4. “A room without books is like a body without a soul.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero Use this in your post or as an inspiration for one
7 October 2016
1. Things you’ve learnt since you started blogging
2. What’s your most favourite word and why?
3. Write a day-in-the-life post and make it specific to what you do either at work/school/home
4. “You don’t love someone because they’re perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they’re not.” – Jodi Picoult (My Sister’s Keeper) – Use this quote in your post or to inspire your post
14 October 2016
1. What did you want to be when you were a kid?
2. Did you think you’d be doing what you’re currently doing in life? Write a personal essay.
3. What has really made a big change in your life?
4. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr – Use this quote in your post or to inspire your post
21 October 2016
1. Worst travel experience ever
2. If you ran the country, what would you do?
3. 21 random facts about me
4. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” – J K Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
28 October 2016
1. Halloween – Yay or Nay? Share your thoughts and experiences
2. If I won a million dollars…
3. Write on any of the prompts from the month of October
4. “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.” – Douglas Adams. Use this in a post of your own or as inspiration for a post
4 November 2016
1. If you were an animal what would you be an why
2. List 5 weaknesses about yourself
3. What’s your favourite part of your body and why
4. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
11 November 2016
1. List 10 things you hope to be remembered for
2. Describe 5 strengths you have
3. Five people who have influenced you
4. “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
18 November 2016
1. 5 hobbies and why you love them
2. Where do you see yourself in 10 years’ time
3. Describe your relationship with your parents. Has it changed? For better or worse?
4. “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind” – Bernard M. Baruch. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
25 November 2016
1.Describe 3 significant childhood memories
2. Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and how they became fears
3. Write on any of the prompts from the month of November
4. “Be the change that you wish to see in the world” – Mahatma Gandhi. Use this quote in a post or as an inspiration for one.
2 December 2016
1. Write about something or someone you can’t get over
2. 10 ways to win your heart
3. Share some weird things you do when you’re alone
4. “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” – J K Rowling. Use this in your post or an inspiration for one.
9 December 2016
1. Things you want to say to an Ex
2. The driving force of your life
3. Three things you’d like for your next birthday
4. “The splendid thing about falling apart silently…is that you can start over as many times as you like.” ― Sanober Khan, A Thousand Flamingos. Use this in your post or an inspiration for one.
16 December 2016
1. What’s in your bag/purse? Share a picture and write something about the items
2. If you could re-take a class from your school or uni days, which would it be
3. If time froze for everyone for an hour but you, what would you do? Get creative!
4. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” – Maya Angelou
23 December 2016
1. What’s the meaning of Christmas to you?
2. Share some favourite Christmas memories
3. Favourite festival to celebrate
4. I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. – Maya Angelou. Use this in your post or as an inspiration for your post
30 December 2016
1. Write about the month you were happiest in 2016
2. Reflect on 2016, the year gone by
3. Write on any of the prompts from December
4. ““Realize that if a door closed, it’s because what was behind it wasn’t meant for you.” – Mandy Hale. Use this in your post or an inspiration for one.
Friday Reflections Prompts for 2017
6 Jan 2017
1. Favourite book of all time
2. The driving force of your life
3.Three things I’d do differently this year
4. “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” – Rumi. Use this quote within your post or as an inspiration for one
13 Jan 2017
1. Self-discipline: how strong is yours?
2. Recipe you would like to share
3. Surprises – giving or receiving, which is better? Share some stories.
4. “Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.” – Stephen Chbosky, Perks of being a Wallflower. Use this quote within your post or as an inspiration for one
20 Jan 2017
1. What is something you are pessimistic about?
2. Write about a real or imagined High school reunion. Did it / your classmates live up to your expectations?
3.What do I do to break routine?
4. “Angels can fly because they take themselves so lightly”. – G K Chesterton. “The sculptor produces the beautiful statue by chipping away such parts of the marble block as are not needed – it is a process of elimination.”
27 Jan 2017
1.Write about a wedding or a function you went to where everything that could go wrong did!
2. Look up your horoscope online. Pick up the last line of it and start writing!
3. Choose any of the prompts from January and write on that
4. “The sculptor produces the beautiful statue by chipping away such parts of the marble block as are not needed – it is a process of elimination.” Elbert Hubbard
3 February 2017
1.Describe the craziest dream you’ve had
2. Freewrite: set your alarm for 20 minutes and just start. Keep writing till it goes off.
3. Your favourite book about writing
4. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” – Dr Seuss. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
10 February 2017
1. Write about something you always think ‘what if…’ about
2. Valentine’s Day – yay or nay?
3. 5 things that irritate you about your partner
4. “Do one thing every day that scares you” – Eleanor Roosevelt. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
17 February 2017
1. I’m most grateful for…
2. What scares you most about dying
3. If I had the courage, I would…
4. “We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” – Maya Angelou. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
24 February 2017
1. The thing I do most often when I’m meant to be doing something else…
2. Write a letter to a fictional character
3. Write on any of the prompts given in February
4. “What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” – Jane Goodall. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
3 March 2017
1. Write about the best thing that happened to you this week
2. What’s the one thing you wish others understood about you
3. Tomorrow will be better because today I learned…
4. “Imagination is the highest form of research” – Albert Einstein. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
10 March 2017
1. I’ve always wondered…
2. Take the VIA Character Strength Survey and talk about your strengths and how it might help you in life
3. What would you do with 10 million dollars
4. “Keep Going. Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going. Tough situations build strong people in the end.” – Roy T. Bennett. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
17 March 2017
1. Your most prized possession and why
2. Top three favourite bands/musicians
3. The reason behind your blog and its name
4. “You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us. And the world will live as one.” – John Lennon. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
24 March 2017
1. Do you or have you ever collected anything? Share your story
2. Put your iPod on shuffle. List the first 10 songs that play and how you feel about them
3. Pick up the book you are currently reading, go to page 27 and write a post starting with the first line on that page.
4. “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.” – J R R Tolkein. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
31 March 2017
1. What’s your star sign? Does it reflect your personality?
2. Pick up the nearest CD or play a random song from your iPod and use the second line in the song to begin your post
3. Write on any of the prompts from March
4. “Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect.” – Margaret Mitchell. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.