There was a time that I would tend to comment on social media posts that I thought were spreading misinformation, were rude or insensitive or just plain stupid. But then I realized that it was too energy sapping and a worthless exercise. So I stopped. Until recently, I made the mistake of expressing my views on a thread I disagreed with. I wasn’t expecting such personal and disrespectful comments and a personal message from someone I didn’t know being rude too. It was a good reminder that there should be no more wrestling with pigs for me.
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. – George Bernard Shaw
As much as we’d like everyone to agree with us, we have to realize that the world is full of people whose experiences and backgrounds are so varied. So there can be no unanimous opinion especially on certain issues.
But that’s okay. The problem begins when some of these people become argumentative, belligerent and start to get personal.
On social media this can get really invasive, as I learned.
In this particular case, I can see a whole load of media hungry people bonding together.
It’s my fault that I stepped into the discussion. I stand by my opinion, but I know the other people are never going to even try to see my point of view.
I’d be better off talking about my beliefs on my space and focusing on more meaningful engagement.
Friday Reflections is a link up hosted by Shalini at KohlEyed Me and me, Corinne at Everyday Gyaan. We invite you to join us every Friday to share a good cup of tea and your reflections based on the prompts we provide. Shalini will be away for a month or more, so it is going to be just me for a while.
Here’s how #FridayReflections works:
- Write a post using one of the prompts for the week provided below.
- Use the hashtag #FridayReflections. Please follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group.
- Add your link to the linky below.
- Use our #FridayReflections badge to encourage other bloggers to join in too.
- Visit and comment on the posts of other bloggers linked here.
Prompts for 20 July 2018 are:
1. What if you could visit any fantasy world — Never Land, Wonderland, Oz, Narnia, Hogwarts — which would you pick?
2. I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. – George Bernard Shaw
3. Picture prompt – via Pexels
Image Credits: Shutterstock