“When was the last time you cried?” she asked,
Looking into his soulful eyes,
Eyes that made her recall a love of long ago.
“The last time I cried…” he began
Then he laughed and said,
“I never cry.”
But his eyes spoke to her and
She knew that it would take time
To get him to open up and speak
Of the pain that she saw
In the depths of his eyes.
“When was the last you cried?” he asked
Looking at her with love.
And she, open almost to a fault, said,
“Just a few days ago, when I felt
Misunderstood and judged.”
Out rushed the incident,
Complete with details.
In telling it she made herself
Vulnerable to him.
But she trusted him with her secrets
And felt she was safe.
As she thinks of this today
She remembers a lost love
Someone she trusted with her heart
A man who looked at her similarly
And made her feel safe.
They were friends, but friendship
Turned to love.
“Made for each other”, they declared.
They finished each other’s sentences
Got each other’s jokes
And swore to be true.
But those soulful eyes of his too
Held secrets he never told.
She thought it would be the last time she cried
When he told her that he was leaving,
Marrying the person his parents had chosen.
She swore she’d never love or trust again,
But she did, time and again…
For she was not one to shy, even if it made her cry,
From letting her heart lead.
Because love is the fuel that moves her
And tears her way of healing.
Friday Reflections is a link up hosted by Shalini at KohlEyed Me and me, Corinne at Everyday Gyaan. We invite you to join us every Friday to share a good cup of tea and your reflections based on the prompts we provide.
Here’s how #FridayReflections works:
- Write a post using one of the prompts for the week provided below.
- Use the hashtag #FridayReflections. Please follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group.
- Add your link to the linky below.
- Use our #FridayReflections badge to encourage other bloggers to join in too.
- Visit and comment on the posts of other bloggers linked here.
Prompts for 12 January 2018
- Write about the last time you cried.
- ‘Always laugh when you can. It’s cheap medicine’ – Lord Byron
- Picture Prompt (credit Corinne Rodrigues)
Image Credits: Shutterstock