I wake up this morning and the first thing I read is this quote from Bob Marley.
“Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you’re living?” ~ Bob Marley
I realize it’s a question that is truly meant for me. Am I satisfied with my life?
The answer: What does satisfaction mean?
I discuss this with José who thinks that no one in the world is really satisfied. According to him, the moment a person is satisfied with her life, she will begin to vegetate. I agree with his thinking at some levels. However, deep within me I do believe it’s possible to be satisfied with your life.
I now begin to think about this question even more. Then, suddenly, I’m drawn to a book that I had read years ago – [amazon_link id=”B007R7JTLA” target=”_blank” ]Pathfinders[/amazon_link] by Gail Sheehy, also the author of [amazon_link id=”034547922X” target=”_blank” ]Passages: Predictable Crises of Adult Life[/amazon_link].
There I find what Sheehy calls the ten hallmarks of of well-being:
1. My life has meaning and direction
2. I have experienced one or more important transition in my adult years, and I have handled these transitions in an unusual, personal, or creative way.
3. I rarely feel cheated or disappointed by life.
4. I have attained several of the long-term goals that are important to me.
5. I am pleased with my personal growth and development.
6. I am in love; my partner and I love mutually.
7. I have many friends.
8. I am a cheerful person.
9. I am not thin-skinned or sensitive to criticism.
10. I have no major fears.
I first read this book in my early thirties, almost 15 years ago. I can honestly say that I’ve moved up the well-being scale quite a bit since then. Re-visiting these points, I have now marked out some areas that I definitely need to work on:
- My long term goals – that book better get written
- More focus on my personal growth – sticking to following a regimen
- Developing a thick skin! I often take feedback very critically.
I’m opening my eyes and looking deep within. The end of another year seems so appropriate to do that.
What about you? Are you satisfied with the life you’re living?
- Embracing Change (liveonimpulse.wordpress.com)
- A Bob Marley Quote Everyone Must Read (soshitech.com)
- Open Your Eyes and Look Within (myoutletinlife.wordpress.com)