Grateful and blessed beyond measure – that’s me!
Today I will focus on all that I’m grateful for in the past week, but before that, I’d like to share with you one of Henri Nouwen’s experiences. As you might have figured out, if you’re a regular reader, he is one of my heroes.
There is one of my friends there who is quite handicapped (he worked with the mentally challenged) but a wonderful, wonderful lady. She said to me, “Henri, can you bless me?” I remember walking up to her and giving her a little cross on her forehead. She said, “Henri, it doesn’t work. No, that is not what I mean.” I was embarrassed and said, “I gave you a blessing.” She said, “No, I want to be blessed.” I kept thinking, “What does she mean?”
We had a little service and all these people were sitting there. After the service I said, “Janet wants a blessing.” I had an alb on and a long robe with long sleeves. Janet walked up to me and said, “I want to be blessed.” She put her head against my chest and I spontaneously put my arms around her, held her, and looked right into her eyes and said, “Blessed are you, Janet. You know how much we love you. You know how important you are. You know what a good woman you are.”
She looked at me and said, “Yes, yes, yes, I know. I suddenly saw all sorts of energy coming back to her. She seemed to be relieved from the feeling of depression because suddenly she realized again that she was blessed. She went back to her place and immediately other people said, “I want that kind of blessing, too.”
I think it is very important that when we are in touch with our blessedness that we can then bless other people.
I’m linking today to Laurel Regan’s Today’s Gratitude List No.41. Here’s my list for the week.
I am grateful for:
1. the love and affection I received on my birthday. I was overwhelmed.
2. the old friends I reconnected with and look forward to meeting them soon. It was great to feel the old connection and to know that we’ve all changed, but can still be good friends.
3. my blogs and that I am able to put out a post everyday on this one as part of The Write Tribe Pro Bloggers challenge.
4. the joy of having Pablo. Only another dog-lover would appreciate that.
5. the books I get to read for free.
6. the joys and convenience of online shopping.