Work your brain!
This is actually a message to myself.
Confession time:. I’ve been having a few problems remembering names. Now for someone, who used to be my immediate family’s reference point for names, that’s really scary. Then sometimes I find myself struggling to get the right word………and I admit I was even more scared.
Is this the early onset of Alzheimer’s disease
? I know I sound paranoid but……I’m not 🙂
I looked at the 10 warning signs provided by www.alz.org
and realized that I didn’t have too much to worry about. Do take a look at the signs – it’s good information to have.
I have found various simple things one can do to give the brain a regular work out. They’re fun activities but useful as well. Here are some things you can do:
1. Use the hand you normally don’t use, to do the following activities:
Brush your teeth
- Operate your computer mouse
- Dial the phone
- Operate the TV remote.
2. Travel. Expensive, you say? I’m not telling you to go to exotic places (you’re most welcome to – the more the better as well!). But take new routes home or to the places you usually go to. When you get back home draw a map of the route you took……Even do something as simple as trying out a new grocery store.
3. Eat – enjoy and analyze – What’s that, you say? Try out new foods. And while you’re eating them identify the ingredients……..
4. Get dressed with your eyes closed. 🙂
5. Use only signs and visual clues to communicate with someone (preferably not your boss!) over a meal.
7. Play word games – Scrabble
for example. Solve crosswords. Play Sudoko
In other words, do anything (legal, of course!) that stimulates your brain to THINK.
So now I have a good excuse to play a lot more Scrabble
and I’m loving it.
Would love to hear what brain stimulating ideas you can come up with.
May you be inspired – everyday!
PS: Taking off from this post, Theresa
, my friend from Blog Catalog, has started a great discussion there called – Test Your Dexterity – do follow it – it’s most interesting!