Today, November 13, is World Kindness Day. It’s a day when people around the globe perform random acts of kindness with the idea of spreading a little sunshine in a world that sometimes is dark.
World Kindness Day 2014
The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation has a number of ideas on how you can spread kindness today. Look at the graphic below for their ideas and perhaps you’d like to #ShareAMonster.
However, kindness is not a one day affair. It must become a way of life. I reviewed a book called ‘One Good Deed‘ a couple of years ago that suggested you could do one good deed a day and gave several ideas about what those deeds might be.
The Action For Happiness website has a list of suggested acts of kindness that we all can incorporate into our lives.
1. Give up your seat
2. Hold a door open for someone
3. Give a (sincere) compliment
4. Make someone laugh
5. Give someone a hug
6. Take time to really listen to someone
7. Let one car in on every journey
8. Make someone new feel welcome
9. Help someone who’s lost
10. Have a conversation with a stranger
11. Pick up litter as you walk
12. Let someone in front of you in the queue
13. Read a story with a child
14. Tell someone they mean a lot to you
15. Let someone have your parking spot
16. Offer your change to someone struggling to find the right amount
17. Treat a loved one to breakfast in bed
18. Buy cakes or fruit for your colleagues
19. Invite your neighbour round for a drink and a chat
20. Offer to help with someone’s shopping
21. Tell someone if you notice they’re doing a good job
22. Pass on a book you’ve enjoyed
23. Say sorry (you know who to)
24. Forgive someone for what they’ve done
25. Visit a sick friend, relative or neighbour
26. Buy an unexpected gift for someone
27. Bake something for a neighbour
28. Pay for someone in the queue behind
29. Do a chore that you don’t normally do
30. Help out someone in need
31. Offer to look after a friend’s children
32. Offer to mow your neighbour’s lawn
33. Donate your old things to charity
34. Give food to a homeless person and take time to talk with them
35. Visit someone who may be lonely
36. Give blood
37. Get back in contact with someone you’ve lost touch with
38. Organise a fundraising event
39. Volunteer your time for a charity
40. Plan a street party
Today I invite you to start with one good deed a day and to blog about kindness. Add the link to your post about kindness.
I have created a Pinterest Board called Kindness Matters. If you would like to add your present and future posts and ideas on Kindness, do send a request to join this group board. Let’s flood the internet with kindness!
Kindness is the kind of virus we need to spread! 🙂
Remember, one kind word or deed can change someone’s entire day. Be kind!