How can I live a big YES to the adventure of my life? That’s a question I came across recently on Gratefulness.org. And I had to ask a counter question. What is the adventure of my life? Would you laugh if I told you that it was ‘living authentically‘?
Remember that story of the little boy who called out that the emperor was not wearing any clothes, when the rest of the crowd pretended that he was wearing the finest robes? What made that boy say that? Simple. He stated the truth. I’m not sure what happened to the boy after that, but he must have been the envy of a lot of adults! What freedom to state what was the truth!
When I think about what kept the adults from the truth, I realize that it was fear. Fear of being punished. Fear of going against the popular voice. Fear of standing out.
Saying A Big YES To The Adventure Of My Life Means That I Sign on to Being 100% Authentic
Living authentically takes guts. It takes time. It’s not easy to call time on bullshit, even your own!
- following your inner compass even when it seems to point you in completely another direction from people in your life.
- learning to accept that you’ve made mistakes and owning up to them.
- not glossing over situations in your life or painting a picture of it all being rosy
- taking ownership for relationships and situations in your life and knowing when to walk away from them
- not playing by the rules set by other people
- valuing and respecting yourself
- saying what you need to say
- being grateful for every situation and person, knowing that life lessons come to us in various ways
- being more mindful of your own behaviour
- constantly questioning and seeking the truth.
Are you saying a big yes to the adventure of your life?
If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away. Sanch of Living My Imperfect Life and Everyday Gyaan give you writing prompts and all you have to do is choose any one of those prompts to blog about and link up between Friday and Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.
Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.
Prompts for 2nd June 2017 are:
- Write about doing something you don’t want to do
- Write about putting together the pieces of a puzzle
- Tea or coffee? Pick your vice
- “So it’s true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” – E.A. Bucchianeri, Brushstrokes of a Gadfly. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one
- Picture prompt (credit: Living my Imperfect Life)