I’m not sure if you remember the nursery rhyme that went like this: What are little girls made of? Sugar and spice, And all that’s nice; That’s what little girls are made of.
Well, it certainly didn’t describe the little girl I once was! I certainly was not sugar and spice and all that’s nice!
Certainly Not Sugar And Spice And All That’s Nice
I guess you’ve already read my Cinderella story. If you haven’t, let me share it here. I was all of three when a visitor to our home brought a box of chocolates for us. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on the chocolates and begged my Mum for one. Since it was close to lunch time, Mum told me I could have one later. I began to fidget with the box. To make sure I didn’t help myself to a chocolate, she took the box and put it on top of the refrigerator – out of my reach.
I always had a smart mouth, and even at that age was completely absorbed by books and stories. So I turned to my mother and questioning her ‘cruel’ behaviour of making me wait for the treat asked her: ” Are you my stepmother?”
At school I was quite the opposite – always a good little girl. In college, I would come up with jokes and ideas for pranks that other people would broadcast or act upon!
I have used my quick mouth to avoid some creeps. Like the guy who came up to me in the Bank where I worked and asked me out for lunch. Since he was a customer, I couldn’t be rude. So I said, “Come with me to the Manager, and we’ll take his permission.” That got him out of the Bank pretty soon!
I’m lucky that my husband appreciates my gift of repartee, because I can be downright cheeky at times.
In more recent times, I taken to saying almost exactly what I feel and shocking the hell of out some people. Or I’ll fob off excessively curious people by telling them the truth, but in a way that really tells them nothing!
I’m responding to one of today’s prompts: Were you shy as a child? Bossy? Obnoxious? Describe several of your childhood character traits. How did those qualities show themselves? Are you still that way today?
Would love to read your response to this.
Friday Reflections is a link up hosted by Shalini at KohlEyed Me and me, Corinne at Everyday Gyaan. We invite you to join us every Friday to share a good cup of tea and your reflections based on the prompts we provide.
Here’s how #FridayReflections works:
- Write a post using one of the prompts for the week provided below.
- Use the hashtag #FridayReflections. Please follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group.
- Add your link to the linky below.
- Use our #FridayReflections badge to encourage other bloggers to join in too.
- Visit and comment on the posts of other bloggers linked here.
Prompts for 13 July 2018 are:
- Were you shy as a child? Bossy? Obnoxious? Describe several of your childhood character traits. How did those qualities show themselves? Are you still that way today? (via https://writeshop.com)
- It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not. – –André Gide, Autumn Leaves
- Picture prompt – via Corinne Rodrigues
Image Credits: Shutterstock