Everyday we hear news that shocks us. The incidents of this Friday, have left the world asking a whole lot of questions. When innocent children are the victims of such senseless violence, we wonder where the world is heading. We are saddened to the core of our being.
I think about Adam Lanza, the killer, a mere boy of 20. He was, from all reports coming in, taught by his own mother to fear the world outside and that guns were a way to protect oneself from the evil about. In the case of this mother and son, guns were their anchor. Finally it was guns that killed them both and caused Adam to become the evil they feared.
It makes me think about my own anchors. I ask myself
- Who are the people who keep me grounded?
- What are the places or things that give me a sense of security?
- What are the beliefs I hold on to that make me feel secure?
- What are the rituals I practice that keep me connected to myself?
- What do I lean on in times of crisis?
Amidst the confusion of the times, the conflicts of conscience, and the turmoil of daily living, an abiding faith becomes an anchor to our lives. ~ Thomas S. Monson
Are you asking yourself these questions too? What are your anchors? I’d love to hear your answers.
- What’s Going ON? (conquerorshots.wordpress.com)
- Ryan Lanza: Adam had ‘Personality Disorder’ (newsy.com)